The Sustainability Advisory Council aims to play a pivotal role in fostering a sustainable future for our business community and the broader region. Committed to addressing pressing environmental challenges, the council will collaborate with elected officials, community leaders, Chamber Members, subject matter experts, and other organizations to influence policies and initiatives that promote sustainability, responsible growth, and lasting prosperity.
Areas of Focus:
- Environmental Stewardship: The council will work towards developing strategies that encourage businesses to adopt fiscally responsible environmentally conscious practices, reduce their ecological footprint, and embrace sustainable technologies and processes. This includes promoting energy efficiency, waste reduction, sustainable sourcing, and other environmentally friendly practices.
- Green Business Development: The council will support the creation and expansion of green businesses and industries that align with sustainable practices and contribute to the region's environmental goals. This focus area aims to foster innovation and economic growth in areas such as renewable energy, green technology, and eco-friendly products and services.
- Climate Action and Resilience: The council will advocate for fiscally responsible policies that mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, support climate adaptation measures, and prepare businesses for legislative initiatives in relation to such.
- Circular Economy: Encouraging the adoption of circular economy principles will be central to the council's efforts. This involves promoting practices that reduce waste, promote recycling and upcycling, and encourage product design with end-of-life considerations in mind.
- Sustainable Infrastructure: The council will work to advance sustainable infrastructure projects and advocate for investments in transportation, energy, and building systems that promote environmental responsibility and long-term sustainability.
Role and Responsibilities:
Members of the Sustainability Advisory Council will serve as key thought leaders and decision-makers in shaping the Chamber's official stance on sustainability-related matters. They will engage in open and constructive discussions, leveraging their expertise and perspectives to drive consensus on policy recommendations. The council members will also be tasked with voting on the Chamber's official position concerning public issues that impact businesses and workers in our region.
Advocacy and Collaboration:
The Sustainability Advisory Council will actively engage with local and regional stakeholders, including government agencies, NGOs, educational institutions, and community groups. By building strong partnerships and alliances, the council will amplify its advocacy efforts, promote best practices, and collaborate on initiatives that support sustainable economic growth.
For more information about getting involved with the Sustainability Advisory Council, contact Sophia Hernandez.
Registration is required.
Don't know your member login? Contact Kayleigh
All Chamber Members and their employees are invited to join the meetings and participate in the discussion.
- Welcome and Introductions (5 minutes)
- Chamber Updates (5 minutes) Sophia
- Oct 11 ~ Regional Connect Networking - Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater San Diego 4S Ranch
- Oct 18 ~ Small Business Forum @ Lucia Capitol Group LIMITED to 30 Guests
- Oct 25~ Cyber-Tech Advisory Council 11 AM
- Oct 26 ~ Leadership Academy-Salary Negotiations: Maximizing Your Value
- Chamber Travel Updates
- Speaker- Colonel Bedell Commanding Officer, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (15-20 minutes) Chris
- Col Bedell will join us to share insight into how MCAS Miramar implements sustainability practices and principles to enhance training opportunities and ensure long-term availability of training areas, improve the quality of life for military and civilian personnel and their families, and protect and preserve the natural environment. Miramar published its sustainability goals and objectives in the “Miramar Energy Strategy 2025,” and continually pursues a broad range of energy resilience upgrades and improvements via an array of funding sources and procurement pathways to progress toward meeting those goals. The station’s robust energy and environmental programs provide a strong foundation for innovation and improvement.
- Q & A
- Council Co-Chair Discussion (5-10 minutes) Sophia
- Open floor to interested co-chairs
- Council Overview/2023-2023 Goal Discussion Chris