Development Officer, North County San Diego
About Us -
Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute (HSWRI) is a non-profit scientific research organization committed to conserving and renewing marine life to ensure a healthier planet. Our team of experts provides innovative and objective scientific solutions to challenges threatening ocean health and marine life in our rapidly changing world.
Primary Function: Reporting to the Vice President of Development (VPD), the Development Officer, North County San Diego will be primarily working in the region between Del Mar, CA and South Orange County and will implement fundraising strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individuals, foundations and organizations. This position is responsible for working with the VPD to set goals and objectives and for implementing gift strategies that include building relationships with existing and potential funding sources including development of proposals, campaign materials, communication and marketing plans, donor stewardship and other activities. This person is responsible for maintaining an active awareness of goals, objectives, and direction of the development program as a whole and will be evaluated on how they meet or exceed individual and department performance standards as outlined by the VPD.
- Participate in the creation and implementation of an annual fundraising plan in collaboration with the VPD and key staff members.
- Work with the VPD to ensure the organizational vision and strategic plan as it relates to fundraising are understood, owned, and carried out.
- Create and manage a North County Fundraising Advisory Committee to cultivate and drive activities throughout the North County.
- Cultivate, steward, and solicit existing donors while simultaneously building a pipeline of prospects through the process of identification and discovery, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Utilize the donor stewardship system to ensure timely and meaningful communication with our donors
- Participate in the develop individual giving campaigns; coordinate production of resource development materials; and implement via multi-channel communications
- Cultivate and steward partnerships with key community organizations to raise visibility of HSWRI in north San Diego communities
- Proactively participate in organizational social media strategies
- Plan, coordinate and supervise donor relationship building events
Information and budget management
- Manage a portfolio using donor database system to ensure the timely and accurate collection and entry of all donor and prospect information
- Create and analyze reports from donor database to assist with the strategic planning process
- Monitor revenue and expenses in relation to annual fundraising plan to ensure effective use of resources
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting to VPD
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related field
- Minimum of four years of experience in resource development, especially in individual giving campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, analyze data, make good decisions, attend to details, and manage projects
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of strategic development
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors
- Possess creative communication skills: oral, written, and presentation
- Collaborate with team on various projects such as special events, annual campaigns, and major gifts
- Possess computer literacy, including experience with donor database management systems
Valid driver's license / proof of auto insurance
Able to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed